Did the last winter car ad that you saw on TV frustrate you with its inaccuracy? It’s freezing outside but the people inside the car are singing happily as if they have never experienced the discomfort of winter cold? And did you know that you could feel exactly the same way if only you had the best portable car heater?
You surely do know, because you have taken the first step to enter our helpful website. But there is a variety of devices that can bring the warmth of your home into your car, and it might get confusing when it comes to choosing a reliable model at a reasonable price. You are only one article and five portable car heater reviews away from finding your companion on frosty days.
Stick around and let us navigate you through the article that could at least change the temperature in your car booth, if not your life.
ROYADVE 12V Portable Car Heater or Fan
||View On Amazon|
YUUXII Car Heater
||View On Amazon|
FERRYONE Portable Car Heater
||View On Amazon|
DUTISON Portable Car Heater Fan
||View On Amazon|
Acidea Portable Car Heater
||View On Amazon|
The 5 Best Portable Car Heater – (Newest Models)
In our reviews section, we will present you will a selection of some chosen car heater units. We will explore their strengths and weaknesses to give you an idea of what to expect when purchasing such products. There is no particular order definitive of quality, so the final word is left to you.
1. ROYADVE 12V Portable Car Heater or Fan
The Royadve Portable Car Heater can also function as a fan. The two functions make the item versatile. It will serve you both during the winter and the summer. Besides heating and cooling the car, it will also clear the frost from the windows. However, the most noticeable disadvantage of this product is its power. It works like a small hairdryer – enough to warm the small space around it. Thus, if you are looking for something more powerful that would be capable of heating the whole boot, this unit will not meet such expectations. The heater needs to sit on a flat surface. However, it comes with a handgrip, and it could also be used to defrost the rear car window, as long as the cord reaches that far. Note that you could not power the heater while charging another device. A plus of the Royadve Portable Car Heater is that it is priced reasonably low. However, quality is not the highest you can find on the market.
- Both a heater and a fan
- Good price
- Clears the frost from windows
- Not powerful enough to heat the whole booth
- Will not work if the lighter is charging another device
2. YUUXII Car Heater
Similar to most units of that type, this one also has the functions of a defogger, a windshield defroster, and a cooler. This wide range of applications justifies the purchase because you can use it not only as a winter appliance. The heater is 150W, which means that it fits all 12V vehicles. It comes with a rotary holder, which can be used for adjustment and easy directing, just like a car vent. You can adjust it to your preferred angle, direct it to a person or a window. The YUUXII Car Heater is a plug-in device, and you just need to stick it behind your windshield. However, you can find the answers to any installation questions in the user manual that comes with it. The unit consists of a durable shield, which prevents damage in case you tip it over or drop it. It is compact, which makes it great for smaller boots, and it is easy to carry around. However, there are frequent complaints from previous customers that some devices have stopped working.
- Fits all 12V vehicles
- Adjustable angle
- Durable exterior
- Frequent failure of functioning
3. FERRYONE Portable Car Heater
You can use this unit as a supplement to the pre-installed car heater of your vehicle, and it will speed up the process of getting your car warm in the winter. It runs on the energy from the cigarette lighter, which makes it more efficient because it will not use gas. However, the device is better at warming the car than at defrosting the windows. Unfortunately, its blowing capabilities are strong enough only to defrost small sections because it barely moves air.
On the other hand, it starts working quickly upon switching on, and the manual gives straightforward instructions for the installation process. Although the heater is not the most powerful on the market, the materials of the exterior are sturdy, and the cables are not fragile. It also has an automatic power failure protection, which means that it will switch off when it detects danger. Overall, this heater is a good pick for small boots and low budgets.
- Works fast
- Good for the price
- Supplement to the vehicle’s in-built heater
- Sturdy and durable exterior materials
- Cannot defrost entire windows
- Not the highest quality
4. DUTISON Portable Car Heater Fan
The DUTISON Portable Car Heater has all the functions mentioned in the previous reviews: a supplement or a replacement of your built-in air-conditioning system, defroster and defogger. Its primary advantage is that it works very quickly and it takes a few seconds to warm up. Thus, you can feel comfortable in your car. If well ventilated, it can be used as a backup heater when a conditioning failure occurs while you are driving. The installation of this product is straightforward. There is a two-side sticky piece of foam tape on the device, which helps allows you to attach it to the dash. The heater also comes with a handle, so it is easy to point it towards icy areas. Its base rotates 180 degrees, so you don’t have to turn it around to find the right angle. You can also choose from two speeds, both of which are relatively quiet. Another valuable feature of this DUTISON model is the automatic power-off, which turns the device off when there is an operation failure.
- Two-side foam tape for attaching the device to the dash
- Warms up in a few seconds
- Automatic power-off
- Two speeds
- Not as good at defrosting the windows as it is as warming the boot.
5. Acidea Portable Car Heater
The Acidea Portable Car Heater is especially good at warming up the car in cold winter mornings when you want to feel comfortable after entering the boot. It is also good at defrosting that part of the windshield, which is in front of the driver. It takes too much time to defrost the entire windshield or window, however. The unit is not powerful enough to cover larger spaces. You can choose to switch to heat or fan depending on the season. The heater has low energy consumption ratings, and it functions quietly. There is a firm clip that secures the fan to the dash.
Nonetheless, this device also has the 360-degree rotating function to disperse more warm air around. Note that you need to make sure that your fuse and wiring can handle the amperage. This 150W unit is compatible with any 12V vehicles.
- Both warms up the car and defrosts the windshield
- 360-degree rotary holder for adjustment
- Low energy consumption
- Reasonable price
- Not powerful enough to cover large spaces
Who Needs a Portable Car Heater?
The short and easy answer to this question is everybody who has a car. However, even the laziest manufacturer would let himself pass that easily without further explaining the reasons why one would want to choose to have a portable car heater in their car when all cars already have heating systems. If somebody needs further convincing, this is where we step in.
You Cannot Always Rely on Your Car’s Built-in Heater
If a broken car heater catches you off guard as you start your car, you might experience what people know as “the drive to work that is more unpleasant than the work itself.” Of course, if you want the cold drive to motivate you to get out of the car and do your daily tasks, then you can benefit from the damaged car heater. But we know for a fact that most of you would not be happy to have any heating at all in the car.
The portable car heater is a device that you can have as a back-up and not use all the time. For example, if you are fine with the speed at which your existing car heating system works, then you can have the portable device stored in the trunk for when the former one fails you. Then, you will have the quickest solution to the problem and continue your day unobtrusively.
Sometimes, It Is Just Too Cold
Let’s face it; chances are you live in a place where the existing car heater will not be able to accommodate enough heat to make you feel comfortable in the car booth. So still refusing to buy an additional heater would be like ruling quality radiant floor heaters out, because you already have a HVAC system in your house.
A portable car heater will make the first few minutes before the heat kicks in from the existing air conditioning bearable and pleasant. It is not easy to hold the car wheel with freezing hands and fingers that cannot move. The portable car heater releases warmth immediately when it is plugged in. Alternatively, if you have a terrible relationship with the cold, you could try out an overnight car heater, which will change the way you feel when you open the vehicle in the morning.
When to Get a Portable Car Heater?
Read this part of our article to get familiar with the cases in which you might need a portable car heater. Thus you will be able to make an informed decision on whether you really need a heating appliance for your car or not.
- Your car is pretty large. If your vehicle is large, then you have already faced the issue of getting frozen while waiting for the primary heater of your car to start functioning. And even after it starts, the temperature doesn’t reach the desired level until you get to work. So, you need a portable car heater.
First of all, it will start operating immediately, and you will feel the rise of temperature right away. Then, in combination with your primary car heater, it will make the air inside your car warm enough for you to enjoy your ride.
- You live in a cold area. If the climate in your region is characterized by freezing winters, then the primary heater of your car won’t be enough to heat the air inside your vehicle. You will definitely need a mobile car heater.
- The primary heater of your car is out of order. If the factory heater of your vehicle is damaged, you will have to face the problem of fixing it. You should be prepared that this may be very pricy. You may even need some time to save some money to fix the primary heater.
During that time, you may get a portable car heater. Most of the mobile heaters are cheap, and they will be of excellent service to you while you are waiting for the factory heater to get repaired.
- You commute for a lot of hours. If your job is related to long hours of traveling – a professional chauffeur, for example, you will need an additional heater. If you just have to drive for 15 minutes to and back from work, you can somehow survive the cold air inside your car. But if your job involves driving, then don’t put your health at risk. The portable car heater can provide the warm temperature that you need.
- You want to spend less time defrosting your windshield. If you are tired of spending long minutes early in the morning trying to defrost the window shield of your car, then you need to consider getting a portable heating device. Make sure that the one that you have decided to purchase has the option of defrosting.
How to Use Your Portable Car Heater to Stay Safe All Winter Long?
If you want to enjoy being extra warm in your car, you will surely want to read our tips on how to use your portable car heater to stay safe all winter long. You are probably aware that using a mobile car heater for too long can be dangerous. Do not panic, though! If you follow our pieces of advice, you will stay safe and warm!
- First of all, read carefully the instructions provided by the manufacturer of your portable car heater. You can find them in the manual that comes with any heating product that you buy. Install the heater according to these instructions. They will tell you how to avoid overheating of the product.
- Keep the portable heater as far away as possible from any flammable materials in the car, such as paper.
- Before you plug in your heating device, inspect the cord. If any part of it is damaged, do not take the risk of plugging it in.
- Do not leave the heater unattended when it is turned on. Treat it as if you have a fire burning in your fireplace at home. We are sure you would never leave this one unattended. Then why doing so with the portable heater?
- Before you buy a portable car heater, check its safety ratings. A certified testing lab should approve each portable car heater.
Can Portable Car Heaters Replace Factory Heaters?
After reading so much information about the advantages of portable car heaters and the great use that they will be to you, you probably have started wondering if portable car heaters can replace factory heaters. Before you decide whether you need a mobile heating device for your car, first, you have to figure out what your needs are.
- If you want the heater to defrost the windshield of your car and to make the air inside the vehicle a little bit warmer, the portable device can do this for you with no difficulties.
- If you expect the heater to warm up the whole car without the need to use the factory car heaters, then you will be disappointed with most of the portable car heaters available at the market. They do not have the same power as the factory heaters to provide the same service.
In other words, portable car heaters cannot replace factory ones if you want them to heat the entire car. However, they are the right choice if you just expect them to make the temperature inside the vehicle bearable, or if you want them to defrost your windshield. The most suitable thing to do would be to use the portable car heater in combination with the factory one. Thus the air in your car will get warmer in no time.
Choices For Portable Car Heaters
Now that we know that portable car heaters work best in combination with the factory ones, we can have a look at the different choices for portable car heaters.
There are three main types of car heaters:
- Residential heaters;
- 12V portable car heaters;
- Portable propane heaters
- Residential heaters – these devices are made to heat some huge space – your house, office, or even bigger buildings like schools. This is the reason they are also called space heaters. Having this in mind, you can be sure that if you use it in your car, you will get the desired temperature very quickly.
There are some disadvantages to using space heaters in your car. First of all, it is perilous! As you will read in the manual of this heater, you have to place it at least 5 feet away from any flammable objects. Of course, this requirement cannot be achieved in the small space that your car provides.
Another drawback of using this type of heater is that it is not budget-friendly. Residential heaters use a lot of energy, so be prepared for the bill.
- Portable propane heaters – propane heaters make heat from flames. They can easily make the temperature in your car rise. However, it is not a good idea to use them in your vehicle. Some of the portable propane heaters are proved to be safe when being used inside, but to be on the safe side, it is preferable not to use them in the small space of your car.
Apart from the fact that there is not enough space to use them in the car, there are also a lot of objects made of flammable material in the vehicle. Another disadvantage of using propane devices in your car is the quality of the air. Propane heaters will require a lot of oxygen to keep burning. We all know how unhealthy the air with little oxygen is.
- Portable 12V car heaters – unlike the other two options mentioned above, this appliance is designed primarily to be used in the car. First of all, it is safe for the passengers in the vehicle. Second, it needs only a little space to function.
You won’t be surprised that this device also has its disadvantages. The first one is that it is not powerful enough to heat your entire car to the expected temperature. It uses only 12 V. If you want to make the air a little bit warmer, you may try connecting this portable heater to the battery of the car. Keep in mind that this process may be very complicated.
Another drawback of this heater is that it is easy to break. If you break it frequently, it will be a bit pricy for you to replace it with a new one.
The third disadvantage is that if the portable heater runs all the time while your engine is on, you will be disappointed as your battery will die very quickly.
So the best option for you is to use the portable 12V heater since it is designed to serve the needs of you and your car. We hope that you will be very careful not to break it, and you won’t leave it running for a long time. As we have mentioned, if you use it in combination with the factory heater, you will enjoy the desired temperature.
If you have read this part of our article, then it is clear that you have decided to get a device which to heap up your car. If you are also interested in other appliances that you can use to heat up or cool down your entire house, we encourage you to visit our website. There you will find more information about various Homeclimate heating and cooling systems that will make your home a cozier place to spend time with your loved ones.
Types of Portable Car Heaters
There are three types of 12-V portable car heaters – convection portable car heaters, fan-forced heaters, and portable radiant heaters.
Radiant Portable Heaters
Radiant heaters have heating elements, but they do not heat the air surrounding them. Infrared radiation emissions characterize them. When an object reaches the surface of this radiation, it gets warm.
Even though this type of heaters doesn’t make the air around you warm, it is very efficient when it comes to raising the temperature inside your car. We should warn you that it is dangerous to use portable radiant heaters in enclosed space like one of the vehicles. Their heating elements may cause combustion.
Convection Portable Heaters
Convection heaters are considered to be the safest option among all types of heating devices. These appliances also use heating elements. Unlike radiant heaters, these warm up the air around them.
They function thanks to the so-called convection cycle – the device draws cold air and warms it up. The hot air rises, and the device draws more cold air. Convection heaters can also be dangerous because of the same reason as the radiant ones – the risk of combustion.
Part of convection portable devices is the oil-filled heaters. As their name suggests, they are filled with oil. The tools warm up the oil by using electricity. The heat is then transferred to the air that circulates unique fins. Since oil-filled heaters operate due to natural convection, they may take a longer time to make your car warm enough.
Fan-forced heaters move air over a heating element. After that, they circulate the heat that is produced. The fan-forced appliances are handy at warming up the air inside your car as they have fans thanks to which the heat is transferred very quickly. They re also smaller than convection heaters and won’t take so much space in your car.
These heaters are the top if you want to use them in cold weather. The fan they are provided with transfers the heat very quickly. A disadvantage of this type of car heaters is that they are very noisy. We advise you to be careful when using these heaters as they may cause a fire.
Some of the fan heaters are ceramic, which makes them safer as the ceramic material cools down very quickly. That’s why the risk of fire is smaller.
Benefits of Using a Portable Car Heater
- Warming you up in the cold weather – portable car heaters are handy during the winter when the temperature is so low that the primary heater of your car cannot heat the air inside the vehicle.
- Cost – if your primary car heater is out of order, then it is cheaper to purchase a portable one than to repair the factory one. Most of the mobile heating devices for cars are very affordable.
- Not only heating the air but also defrosting – say ‘goodbye’ to the unpleasant long cold mornings in which you have to spend a lot of time scraping the ice off your window shield. As we have already mentioned, most of the portable car heaters also have the power of defrosting the window shields of your vehicle.
- Compact – As their name suggests, portable heaters are easy to carry and move. Typically they are small in size, which makes them perfect for the design of any car.
- The feeling that you are home – if you have a portable ar heater working in combination with the primary one of your vehicle, then the temperature in your car can reach the one that you have at home. So you can feel cozy as if you are home while commuting to work or traveling long distances.
Frequently Asked Questions about Portable Car Heaters?
Does the portable car heater come with a timer?
The portable car heater doesn’t feature a timer. It will only work while the engine of the car is running. Whenever you turn off the vehicle, the heater will stop operating. So you shouldn’t worry that you may unintentionally leave it working.
How safe are portable car heaters?
The answer to this question depends mainly on the type of car heater you have chosen to buy. As we have mentioned above, some of the safest options are considered to be the convention heating devices, as well as the ceramic ones.
You should be more careful when you use a fan-forced heater as it may cause a fire. You should also think twice before you decide to get a portable radiant heater as this one emits radiation.
Are portable car heaters eco-friendly?
Most portable car heaters are environmentally friendly. Among the top products in terms of being eco-friendly are considered to be the ceramic ones. However, there are some types of heating devices which you should avoid using as they emit radiation.
If you want to check how environmentally friendly a portable heater is, you can use a home air quality test kit. It will show you if the air inside your car is okay to breathe. If you are interested in it and its function, you can find more information about it on our website. Just visit it so you can afford to breathe clean, fresh air while commuting to work.
Does the portable car heater turn off automatically?
The heater turns off when you stop the engine of the car. Thanks to this fact, the heating appliance won’t drain all of the energy of the battery of your vehicle. If you need to warm your car while the engine is off, you may try the propane heater. However, it is not a good idea to leave it unattended.
Does the portable car heater come with a remote control?
No, the portable car heater doesn’t have a remote control. It will start working whenever you start the car. So if your vehicle has the option of starting automatically, the heater will begin operating with it, and the vehicle will be warm enough for you as soon as you finish your coffee.
How much time does it take a portable car heater to heat a vehicle?
It depends on the typer of the heater and the size of your car, but it usually would take around 10 to 15 minutes for a portable car heater to warm up your vehicle.
Best Portable Car Heater Comparison Chart
|ROYADVE 12V Portable Car Heater or Fan||$$$||7.7 x 5.1 x 3.9″||1 pound||Plastic||12V ,150W|
|YUUXII Car Heater||$$||7.2 x 5.5 x 2.9″||12.5 ounces||ABS||12V ,150W|
|FERRYONE Portable Car Heater||$$||6.8 x 4.8 x 3.2″||13.3 ounces||ABS||12V ,150W|
|DUTISON Portable Car Heater Fan||$||7.6 x 5.2 x 3.5″||1.05 pounds||N/A||12V ,150W|
|Acidea Portable Car Heater||$||3.9 x 3.9 x 2″||7 ounces||ABS||12V ,150W|
It’s awful when you have to get up very early and spend a long time trying to defrost the window shields of your car when it is still dark outside. Then you get in the car, and you feel like being in a freezer. Until your car is warm enough for you to get comfortable driving, you are already at work.
Instead of complaining about this, you can consider finding the best portable car heater. It will make your life easier and happier in the cold winter mornings. First of all, working in combination with the primary heater of your car, it will make the air inside your vehicle warm enough to drive.
Then it will save you a lot of time as you won’t have to try to defrost the window shields of your car, the heater will do it for you. However, it is not easy to find the most suitable heater for you as there are hundreds of them offered at the market.
As we like to assist you with this process, we have compiled a list of reviews on portable car heaters that will show you the advantages and disadvantages of the different products and will help you to make the wisest choice. If you are interested in other heating devices that you can use at home, you can visit our website and read more about different heating systems.