- The 6 Best Window Fan Reviews – Editors’ Choice
- What is a Window Fan?
- Who Needs It?
- Types of Window Fans
- How to Use Window Fans for Home Cooling
- How to Clean Your Window Fans
- The Do’s and Don’ts
- Benefits and Downsides
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Best Window Fans Comparison Chart
Do you know what is worse for your health than outdoor environmental pollution? It is indoor pollution at your home. It is scientifically proven that most of the recent illnesses have been caused by pollutants that circulate in the air people breathe at home.
There is no need to worry, though! All the indoor air pollutants and the consequences they have can be prevented with the help of the best window fan. We are sure that you care about the quality of your indoor air, and you would consider getting one. However, finding the right product requires hours of research and can turn into a challenging and somewhat tedious process.
We are concerned about your health, and respectively would like to help you fight with indoor air pollution. So we have ventured on an internet journey to find the top products available at the market. Read our uniquely designed list of reviews on window fans to make the perfect choice for the health of your loved ones.
Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
|View On Amazon|
Iliving Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan
|View On Amazon|
Air King Whole House Window Fan
|View On Amazon|
Genesis Twin Window Fan
|View On Amazon|
Air King Window Fan
|View On Amazon|
BOVADO USA Twin Window Cooling Fan
|View On Amazon|
The 6 Best Window Fan Reviews – Editors’ Choice
In this section of our article, we would like to show you six of the top window fans that are available at the market. Please, note that they are not presented in any specific order:
1. Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
The Holmes Dual Window Fan is one of the best-sellers as it can fit into both slider windows and double-hung ones. If you have a bigger window, don’t worry! The Holmes fan is equipped with an extender screen and an extender panel thanks to which it can also be adjusted to larger windows.
As its name suggests, this model features two blade operations that have independent motors that can be reversed electronically. The engines are water-resistant so that they can operate in any weather conditions. This fan functions very quietly, so it won’t bother your calm sleep.
Another helpful feature of this product is that it can be installed horizontally, as well as vertically. If you consider buying this fan, you should have in mind that the thermostat sometimes needs recalibration.
- This fan is comparatively cheap.
- Its two motors operate quietly, and you won’t be disturbed by the sounds they produce.
- The product features a reverse airflow.
- You can turn one of the fans off, while the other one is still in operation.
- It is not handy to operate – if you want to turn it off, you need to press the OFF button until it goes through all existing modes.
- The thermostat is not reliable enough and may need to be recalibrated.
2. Iliving Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan
If you want to get rid of moisture, excessive heat, and unpleasant odors, the iLiving Shutter Fan is the right choice for you. It is equipped with a humidistat, a thermostat, and a timer. It comes with remote control, thanks to which you can activate it from a distance of up to 1000 feet. This fan is ideal for large commercial buildings like warehouses, factories, and restaurants.
Another convenience of this product is that the fan comes assembled. You won’t need to worry about reading instructions and using different tools to put together the fan yourself. You can choose from different sizes of shutters. Keep in mind that they are gravity, not motorized.
The motor is fully protected from the weather conditions and is constantly lubricated. If you need a cord for this fan, you can order one. You should also have in mind the fact that the speed controller doesn’t come with the fan, you have to order it separately. A drawback of the product is that it is very noisy.
- It is easy to install – you don’t need to ask a professional to do it.
- The fan features a humidistat apart from a thermostat and a timer.
- You can control the fan with the help of remote control.
- It is quite efficient when it comes to eliminating odors or moisture.
- The fan doesn’t feature variable speeds.
- This fan is from the noisy ones. Good luck if you have to sleep near it!
3. Air King Whole House Window Fan
Thanks to its powerful motor, the Air-King fan is the most appropriate solution for immediate cooling. What is unique about this window fan is that it allows your window to be closed behind the fan. You don’t need to remove the fan if you want to close the window, as it happens with other window fans.
The fan is suitable for rooms of different sizes, that’s why you can purchase it for domestic use or large commercial buildings. You can choose your preferred speed of the fan by using the front-mounted rotary control.
The Air-King fan can both pull air in and exhaust air at three-speed levels. However, bear in mind that this device is not able to cool your house if the weather outside is hotter than the temperature inside. Another inconvenience is that it is quite noisy and you should consider where to install it. It is preferable to place it in the furthest room to the one you sleep in.
- The fan circulates air very powerfully.
- It is appropriate for different sizes of rooms.
- It appears to be cost-effective, especially if the temperature goes down at night.
- The device is easy to install.
- The fan is very loud.
- It will cool the air only if the temperature outside is colder than the one inside.
4. Genesis Twin Window Fan
The Genesis Twin Fan is one of the top sellers in the market because of three main reasons. The first one is that it has a wide-range thermostat, which covers from 60 to 80 degrees. Another reason is that you can visibly track the temperature due to unique LED lights. The third thing that makes the fan unique is its two motors. They are made of copper, which allows them to endure all weather conditions.
This device is energy-saving so that you will cut the budget for electricity. It is also cheaper compared to other products of its kind. The fan is quiet and at the same time, practical.
A disadvantage of this fan is that if the power goes out, you have to turn the fan on by yourself. Also, you should be informed that the 5 amp fuse needs to be replaced quite often as it frequently blows.
- The fan operates quietly when working at high speed
- The price of this product is lower than the average one.
- You can track the temperature settings thanks to LED lights.
- The motors can survive any temperature.
- It is budget-saving as you will pay less for electricity bills than if you used other window fans.
- There is a constant hum when working at lower speeds.
- You need to change the fuses quite often.
5. Air King Window Fan
This Air King fan may seem a bit more expensive than the average, but it is worth the price. Its motor is reversible – it can function at three speeds in and out. It is intended to be mounted on the inside of the window. You can even install it on the top part as it is light enough. You can adjust it horizontally or vertically, depending on the sizes and shapes of your windows.
The fan is easy to install – it will take you not more than 20 minutes, even if you are not that skillful. It produces soft, soothing hum when working so you can use it in your bedroom.
A drawback of this unit is that it doesn’t come with a thermostat. Also, the mounting for its motor is made from plastic, so it breaks quite often, and you need to replace it. The same thing happens with the plastic screws.
- This product is one of the whisper-quiet window fans. It is not noisy when it operates so that it won’t bother your sleep.
- You can install it quickly and easily.
- It is a reversible window fan as it features a reversible motor that pulls air in and out.
- It can be both a horizontal and a vertical window fan. Its light unit allows it to be installed horizontally or vertically at the lower or upper part of the window.
- The device doesn’t have a thermostat.
- The plastic mounting for the motor breaks down quickly.
6. BOVADO USA Twin Window Cooling Fan
If you want to welcome cold air in your home but at the same time get rid of annoying bugs, the Bovado Twin Fan is the perfect one for you. This product is one of the few window fans with a bug screen. It is attached to the back od the device, and it keeps all insects out.
This unit can fit windows with frame sizes from 23,5” to 37”. It comes with expandable panels. As its name suggests, the device has two fans. The first one sucks the hot air out of the room, while the other one brings cold air in. The fans work at three-speed levels – low, medium, and high.
You can control the fan by clicking a single button of its remote control. Another convenience is that the fan is an electronically reversible one – you don’t have to reverse it manually, which is the case with many other fans. A drawback of the product is that the motor is not waterproof.
- The fan features a bug net that keeps all annoying insects out of your house.
- The two fans work in collaboration to get the hot air out and suck the cold air in.
- It comes with remote control, so it is easy to operate.
- The motor is electronically reversible.
- The motor is not waterproof, so it cannot be used when it rains.
- It produces annoying humming sounds when operating at low and medium speed.
What is a Window Fan?
The window fan is a cooling device that is designed to fit a window frame. Most of the fans have expandable panels intended to secure the appliance tightly in the frame. Using a window fan, you can have the temperature that you want and at the same time, breathe fresh purified air.
Typically window fans are very cheap. Moreover, using them, you can cut the money you pay for electricity bills. They are more budget-friendly than air-conditioners. They usually come with three-level speeds. Some window fans have only one fan; others have two fans. The one-fanned devices are designed to cool a single room. The two-fanned appliances are more powerful, and they can circulate the air of a whole house.
The top window fans are electrically reversible so that you can choose from exhaust or intake modes. If you prefer solid units, you should get the old window fans because they are made of metal and are heavier than the new ones. The modern window fans are made of plastic.
The finest window fans feature a thermostat and a grill. Thanks to the thermostat, the fan gets turned off when the desired temperature in the room is reached. The grill changes the direction of the flowing air.
Some more advanced window fans come with remote control and a special timer. The remote control makes the fan easy to operate with. The timer is connected to an automated shut-down option.
Window fans are more effective than box fans. The window ones bring in fresh air from outside and take out the stale air. Box fans can only circulate the inside air. Window fans are also better than air conditioners in terms of being more eco-friendly. Window fans can decrease the temperature in a room with around 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Who Needs It?
Today, there are so many products at the market intended to make your life better, that one starts wondering, ‘Do I really need this?’. The same thing goes with window fans. Before you choose to spend your money on one or more fans, it is a good idea to decide whether you need this product or not.
To help you find out the answer to this question, we have selected the top reasons someone may have to purchase a window fan. Read them and see if you are one of those people.
- You can’t bear the hot temperature during the summer. Your only escape is your home. Unfortunately, the air inside it is even warmer than outside. This sign is the first one that you need a window fan.
- You have found an effective way to run away from the heat during the summer – an air-conditioner. It is an indisputable fact that it does help to make the air at home colder. However, you have to pay high electricity bills. Here comes the window fan, which is a much cheaper option than the air conditioner.
- You live in a place where the air is not only hot during the summer but also dry. Then you should consider getting a window fan in combination with an evaporative cooler. These two devices will circulate and moisturize the air inside your house.
- You live in a several-floor house, and it seems impossible to keep all of it cold during the hot summer days. Worry no more! You can solve this issue using two or more window fans. Situate an inward-blowing fan on the ground floor and an outward-blowing one on the top floor.
Turn them on during the night when the temperature outside is lower than inside. The inward-blowing fan will bring in cold air from outside. The outward-blowing one will take the warm air outside.
- Your area is a warm but moist place. This factor creates permanent mold in the corners of the rooms of your house. Then you definitely need a window fan which to circulate the air all the time.
- You want to refresh the air in the attic since the effect of the air conditioner doesn’t reach that far. Then you can place an outward-blowing fan in the attic.
- If you are concerned about the health of your family and yourself, then you also need to think about what you breathe at home. Recent researches show that our modern houses nowadays are more prone to store toxic particles in the air because of their tight constructions. It is proven that the air inside is more toxic than the outside air.
So you need a window fan to bring in fresh air from outside and take out the toxic particles that circulate inside. These devices do help a lot to improve air quality.
Now that you are sure whether you need a window fan or not, you can also read our reviews on evaporative coolers available on our site. You can combine window fans and evaporative coolers to make the air at home cold, fresh, and moistured.
Types of Window Fans
Most of the window fans look similar to one another – they are like big boxes with a motor and blades inside. These boxes are designed to fit in window frames.
The types of window fans differ according to the number of blades that they have. There are single and twin fans.
Single fans have only one set of blades. These fans are smaller than the twin ones. They are the most suitable ones if you have regular windows. Their installation is easy. That’s why they come with a kit that you can use to install them by yourself.
As their name suggests, twin window fans have two sets of blades. They are larger than single fans. Thanks to their size, they can move a larger quantity of air than the single ones. Another convenience about the twin devices is that you can make one set of blades blow inwards, and the other one– outwards. This trick will ensure better circulation of the air inside your home.
If you read this part of the article, you have decided that you need a window fan. This fact means that you do care about the quality of the air at your home. If you want to get some more light about other different ways to cool or heat your home, you can read our detailed Homeclimate guides of cooling and heating systems. We, the team of homeclimate.net, have written them for your convenience.
How to Use Window Fans for Home Cooling
The efficiency of your fan depends on the way it is being used. So we have prepared some tips on how to use window fans for home cooling.
- The right shape is the square one. If you wonder what the form of your fan should be, we are here to tell you. The top fans are the square ones. The air that they blow goes only in one direction.
This is what you need if you desire your fan to bring cold air in and suck warm air out of your house. The rotating fans are efficient when it comes to circulating air inside, but they are not good in terms of bringing air from outside.
Another advantage of square fans is that they are less expensive than the other ones.
- If you have already chosen your window fan, you should make sure that your windows have bug screens. Without such nets, you run the risk of having unwanted guests like insects or even small animals.
- Let’s say you have the right fan, and you have chosen the most appropriate window in terms of screens. Now, another thing you should take into consideration is the noise factor.
If the fan is near an outside area that is too noisy, you should be warned that you are going to hear the sounds even louder through the open window. Moreover, it is going to be even noisier because of the sounds that the fan produces.
- If you have the chance, situate the window fan near trees or flowers, which can bring some pleasant smells in your home through the fan.
- It is a better idea to turn the fans off during the day. In case you decide to leave them on at day time, then you’d better set at least two devices to blow inwards from the shady part of your house.
- If you live in a house with more than one floors, put the outward-blowing fans on the top floor, preferably the attic. This act will ensure that the device sends the warm air out.
- Nobody wants their window fan to fall in their house or even worse – outside. To avoid this, make sure that you secure the fan tightly between the window and the windowsill.
- It is advisable to remove the fans when it is hot outside. If you find it challenging to take the devices down, then you can put a wet towel over the inward-blowing fans. The towel should be as big as the fan it will be placed over. This technique will improve the cooling power of the device. When the hot air goes through the wet towel, its temperature will get lower.
How to Clean Your Window Fans
Another thing you should be familiar with if you want to enjoy the fresh air at home is how to clean window fans. In this part of the article, we want to show you some useful tips that will help you keep your cooling devices clean.
- The first thing you have to do before you start cleaning the fan is to unplug it. It would be very dangerous if you cleaned the cooling device while it was still plugged in. Make sure that you put the fan on a hard surface before you start the cleaning process.
- Remove the grill of the fan. Some of them have screws, so you need to use a screwdriver to unscrew them. Release buttons secure other grills. If this is your case, then you should press the button. To clean the grill, you need to use a vacuum cleaner
- Another thing you should do is to clean the blades of the fan. You can do this with a piece of cloth. Put it in a soap solution. It is essential to keep the water away from the inner unit of the fan.
- You should dry the blades of the fan before you turn it on.
- Turn the fan on to enjoy the cold air.
The Do’s and Don’ts
If you want to keep the air in your house cool and fresh for less money than if you use an air-conditioner, you should know how to use window fans wisely. We have provided a list of the do’s and don’ts of window fans, which you should have in mind if you want to enjoy fresh summer days at home.
- The More, the Better. It is needless to say that the more window fans you have, the colder the air they will make. It is useful if you can ensure that you have an equal amount of window fans that blow in and such that blow out.
Put the in-blowing fans on the shady part of your house, and the out-blowing ones – on the sunny part. If you are lucky to have a several-floor home, then you should position the inward-blowing fans on the first floor and the outward-blowing fans – on the other levels.
- The Bigger, the Better. If you are granted the opportunity to choose the size of your window fan, then you should always prefer bigger window fans. Of course, you should make sure that the device you buy fits your window. More massive fans can circulate a larger quantity of air. However, the fans shouldn’t be larger than the window because when you place them outside the window frame, they are going to fall.
It will be great if you can block with something the space that is left on each side of the fan. If your budget allows, you can get a fan that comes with a uniquely designed seal that will cover these cavities. If you don’t want to worry about blocking holes, then you can get a narrow window fan that will suit your window perfectly well.
- An Energy-Saving Mode. If you want to save energy and money at the same time, do the following. In the evening, make the window fans on the ground floor blow cold air in, while the fans on the other levels blow the warm air out.
In the morning, turn the fans off and close the windows. If you have insulated well your house, it will manage to keep the air in the house cool all day long. When the evening comes again, turn the cooling devices on and open the windows.
- Avoid Any Unpleasant Smells. You should carefully pick where to situate your window fan. Try to locate it away from any sources of unpleasant odors like bins, parking lots, or commercial buildings. This way, your fan won’t bring unwelcome odors inside your house.
- Temperature Fluctuations. If you are a fan of musical instruments or antiques and you possess such things, you should be extremely careful where you choose to install your fan. Keep in mind that if you use fans, the temperature can vary from very low to very high. These fluctuations can damage musical instruments or antiques. So try to situate the cooling devices in the furthest possible room.
Benefits and Downsides
As all products designed to make our lives better, window fans have a lot of advantages, as well as some disadvantages. Here, we will show you the benefits and downsides of window fans so you can decide if they will be useful to you.
- A budget-friendly option. Window fans are preferable to air conditioners in terms of saving energy. Window fans use less energy than air conditioners. So using the window cooling devices, you will pay less for electricity bills.
- It is the right combination with an air conditioner. Air conditioners are useful when it comes to cooling the air, but they don’t provide any fresh air. So if you already have an air conditioner, you can also get a window fan which will work in addition to it. Thus you will have cold and fresh air.
- Mor is less. If you have an air conditioner and a window fan working together in combination, this will optimize the operation of both devices and reduce the cost of the electricity bills.
- Bye, bye to some odors. By bringing in air from outside and taking out the stale air from inside, window fans can help you eliminate some light, unpleasant smells.
- Easy to install. Most of the window fans come with extendable panels that make the fans fit in all types of windows. You need to take the fan out of the box in which it is delivered, use the panels to adjust the fan to the window frame, plug the device in, and breathe fresh air.
- To install some window fans, you need to remove the screens. Taking down these filters is an inconvenience as some insects can enter your house. They can also get stuck in the grill of the fan, which will make it even more challenging to clean.
- The grills of some fans are secured with screws, and it will take you some time to unscrew them when you need to clean the fan.
- If your window fan doesn’t allow you to close the window, you should always turn the fan off and remove it so that you can close the window when you go out.
- If you place the window fan near outside sources of unpleasant smell, it will inevitably enter your house. Since inward-blowing fans bring in the air from outside, you will have to bear the unpleasant odors from outside.
- If you have musical instruments or antiques, the window fan can damage them. Using a window fan can lead to significant fluctuations in the temperature, which is harmful to musical instruments and antiques. So if they are precious to you, keep them away from the cooling device.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I place my fan on the outside of a window where it will be under the rain in rainy weather?
Most of the window fans have motors than are enclosed in the inner unit. However, it will be better if you can remove the fans if the weather gets bad. In such a way, you will prevent rain from going inside your room.
- What should I do if my window fan gets wet because of the rain?
Most of the window fans are designed to endure rains. To be on the safe side, you should unplug the fan if you see that it is wet. Dry it before you plug it in again.
- Is it possible to install my window fan vertically?
Yes, it is possible. Most of the window fans can be installed vertically as well as horizontally.
- Can I install a box fan on my window instead of a window fan?
No, this is not a good idea. Box fans cannot securely fit the window frame, so they are likely to fall out. Also, the motors of box fans are not resistant to rain. They will get damaged even in case of light showers.
- Can window fans help me get rid of unwanted odors or smoke?
The job of the window fans is to circulate air by bringing in the cold air from outside and sucking out the warm air from inside. By doing so, they will surely refresh the air, but very few of them will help you eliminate unpleasant odors.
If your most significant issue is undesired smells or smoke, then you should consider getting an air purifier. You can read more information about air purifiers for smoke on our website. Just visit it and get informed on the top products that will help you say “Goodbye!’’ to smoke and other odors.
- How do I clean a window fan?
First, you need to unplug the fan and remove the grills. Then, you need to clean the grill with a vacuum cleaner. After that, use a wet cloth to wipe the blades. Dry them with a towel. Finally, put the grill back in place and plug in the fan.
- Doesn’t using a window fan increase the risk of someone breaking in through the window?
It might be the case, but it depends on the type of fan you have purchased. If your fan makes it possible to close the window, then you don’t need to worry. If it doesn’t allow you to close the window, then you need to remove the fan and shut the window when you are away.
Best Window Fans Comparison Chart
|Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan||$||25.9 x 13.5 x 5.7″||7.3 pounds||2||Quiet operation, Water-resistant motors|
|Iliving Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan||$$$$$||13 x 5 x 13″||11.45 pounds||Variable Speed||Automatic shutters, Programmable Thermostat|
|Air King Whole House Window Fan||$$$$||26.8 x 11.2 x 26.2″||8.16 pounds||3||Impact Resistant Plastic Housing, Powder Coated Steel Front Grill and Blade|
|Genesis Twin Window Fan||$||4 x 24 x 12″||8 pounds||3||Max cool technology, Expandable side panels|
|Air King Window Fan||$$$||26.5 x 8.2 x 22″||6.17 pounds||3||High impact styrene housing, ABS plastic blade|
|BOVADO USA Twin Window Cooling Fan||$$||25.5 x 14 x 5″||7.1 pounds||3||Has bug net, electronically reversible motor|
After reading our guide, you have probably got concerned about the quality of the air that you breathe at home and we are sure that you want to improve it. We hope that our article has given you enough information about the best window fans available on the market. We want to help you breathe fresh air and enjoy the cool breeze at home.
We will be glad if you found useful our reviews on window fans and if they helped you to make the right decision. On our website, you can also read other guides on cooling and heating systems. Remember that we care about your health, and we will always be there for you with information and tips. Thanks for reading, and as always – stay put!