- The 10 Best Air Purifiers for Mold – Top Picks
- 1. LEVOIT Air Purifier
- 2. Guardian Technologies Air Purifier
- 3. Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier
- 4. AeraMax 300 Air Purifier
- 5. Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier
- 6. hOmeLabs Air Purifier
- 7. Germ Guardian Air Purifier
- 8. Honeywell Air Purifier
- 9. Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator
- 10. Alen BreathSmart Air Purifier
- How do Air Purifiers Attack Mold?
- Features of Air Purifiers Necessary to Tackle Mold
- Who Needs an Air Purifier?
- Maintenance of Air Purifiers to Keep Mold at Bay
- Best Air Purifiers for Mold Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
Did you know that breathing in even small amounts of airborne mold could lead to severe short and long-term health problems? Although an air purifier cannot remedy the root of the problem, it is the first step to ensuring the air that you breathe is clean. This is why investing in the best air purifiers for mold is crucial.
On top of that, air purifiers do a lot more than just eliminate airborne mold. They have a whole plethora of additional benefits that ensure that the air that you breathe in your home is 100% clean.
So let’s not waste any more time and let’s dive into the reviews of purifiers for mold that our team has compiled.
LEVOIT Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
Guardian Technologies Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
AeraMax 300 Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
The 10 Best Air Purifiers for Mold – Top Picks
Take a look at our collection of air purifiers for mold reviews in no particular order below.
1. LEVOIT Air Purifier
Although considerably more expensive than the lower end air purifiers on this list, you do get what you pay for. This is a high-quality air purifier that offers a lot more functionality. It provides higher air circulation for larger spaces. Its broad reach can move air in any 538-foot room.
What impressed us is its auto mode that detects air quality and adjusts fan speeds accordingly. Its sleep mode is also one of the quietest at 25dB. Another key feature that makes it better than most is that it is 100% ozone free. There is no UV-C light or anion purification method that harms individuals with asthma.
It filters out air particles up to 0.3 microns and cleans the air of odors, mold spores, dust, pollen, and smoke. It features 3 fan speeds and comes with a 1-year buyer assurance that can be extended by another year, there is a 30 days free return or exchange, and lifetime customer support.
- No UV-C light or anion purification methods, making it 100% ozone free.
- Hushed sleep mode at only 25dB.
- The LCD display can easily be turned off, so it doesn’t bother you while they sleep.
- Very reliable customer service.
- It is relatively expensive in comparison to other air purifiers.
- It doesn’t seem to pull in the larger debris.
2. Guardian Technologies Air Purifier
The Guardian Technologies Air Purifier is an inexpensive, yet quite effective means to keep the air in your home safe while reducing mold and smells. It features a True HEPA filter that captures up to 99.97% of allergens and dust as small as 0.3 microns. Also, the product is beneficial in killing airborne germs, viruses, and mold.
There is a charcoal filter that reduces household smells and can filter the air in rooms up to 167 square feet 4 times per hour. It features the following CADR numbers for filtering air: Smoke – 108, Dust – 118, and Pollen – 125.
While the UV-C light kills airborne viruses and germs, the HEPA filter will capture pet dander, pollen, dust mites, and more. It features 3 speeds, including the quiet sleep mode, so it doesn’t disturb you at night. When you have to replace the air filter, the indicator on the front will notify you.
The purifier is AHAM verified and is tested independently for the removal of dust, pollen, and tobacco smoke. We were satisfied overall by the results, but not by the location where the filter intakes air and blows it out, making it difficult to place in the room, so it is most effective.
- The purifier comes with a 3-year warranty and helpful customer service.
- It is suitable for rooms up to 167 square feet.
- Ideal for smaller rooms for faster results.
- The filter cannot be washed, only vacuumed.
- Even after several months and cleaning of filters, There is a continuous plastic smell coming from the unit.
- Over time, as the unit ages, it gets gradually louder and more unpleasant.
3. Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier
One of the leading air purifiers on the less expensive side is the PureZone. It offers a lot of options and is relatively small, so you can place it anywhere in the room. It features a power-saving timer that shuts the unit off in 2, 4, or 8 hours. It can clean air in areas up to 200 square feet.
The True HEPA filter will capture up to 99.97% of household odors, mold spores, smoke, pet dander, pollen, and dust, while the UV-C light will destroy micro-organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses, and germs. It is claimed to be very quiet at only 30dB. However, it isn’t very quiet.
The filter needs to be cleaned once a month and requires a complete change every 6-8 months.
- The air purifier comes with a 5-year warranty.
- If you don’t want to use the UV filter, you can remove it entirely from the air purifier.
- Very small in size, so it fits anywhere.
- The unit can be a little bit noisy
- The pre-filter that captures larger particles is made of a material that is difficult to clean and cannot handle washing.
- The charcoal filter doesn’t last as long as the HEPA filter. As they are integrated, if you want odor reduction, you must change the HEPA filter more often.
4. AeraMax 300 Air Purifier
This is another True HEPA air purifier that captures up to 99.97% of air particles and creates a clean air environment ideal for individuals with asthma. It features an odor-eliminating carbon filter that doubles to capture dust, mold, smoke, and germs.
There is an air quality sensor on the air purifier itself that monitors the quality of the air in the space and adjusts the speed to ensure air is at its safest. The many features of this air purifier have been recognized by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and come with a certification that it is allergy and asthma friendly.
The purifier is designed to work in larger rooms from 300 to 600 square feet. The AeraMax features four filtration steps. First, the air goes through the carbon filter to capture larger particles and odors. Then the air goes through the HEPA filter to catch the rest of the airborne particles, including pet dander, dust mites, mold, germs, viruses, and more. The air goes through the AreaSafe antimicrobial treatment to prevent odor-causing bacteria, and finally, using PlasmaTRUE tech, the air purifier creates an ionized field.
- The AeraMax features an air quality sensor to adjust the fan speed accordingly.
- It has an air quality indicator notifying you of the current air quality in the room you are in.
- The ionizing feature can be shut off if you don’t want to use it.
- When using the ionizing feature, it makes a high pitched noise.
- Air quality indicator changes very quickly and often, leading you to believe that it’s not sensing correctly.
- The lights on the unit cannot be turned off or dimmed.
5. Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier
The Blue Pure 411 is a 3 stage air purifier that can handle smaller areas easily. It can handle up to 99% of the most common airborne pollutants, including dust mites, allergens, mold spores, pet dander, smoke, and odors. It features an active carbon filter to remove the scents in the room caused by pets, cigarette smoke, cook smells, and more.
The pre-filter is washable and can be changed to match the décor in your home. By purchasing the Blue Pure 411 air purifier, you receive 2 of these, one blue and one grey, however, there are other color choices available.
The air filters should be replaced every 6 months and are recyclable. Also, the air purifier is an energy star rated as best in class in energy performance. The unit comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty, and with registration to the Blueair.com website within 60 days of purchasing, you can extend it to 2 years.
- You can extend the warranty to 2 years by registering the unit on the Blueair.com website.
- The unit is inexpensive and practical for smaller rooms.
- The unit features an ionizer but doesn’t produce measurable amounts of ozone, emitting less than 0.050 ppm.
- The unit is confirmed to be very quiet.
- The filter emits an odd smell.
- Light on the top is very bright and may affect sleep.
- The pre-filter is exposed, so if you brush up against it, the dust is disrupted.
hOmeLabs Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
Germ Guardian Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
Honeywell Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator
||View On Amazon|
Alen BreathSmart Air Purifier
||View On Amazon|
6. hOmeLabs Air Purifier
The hOmeLabs Air Purifier offers three levels of filtration. First, the air moves through the pre-filter, followed by the carbon filtration, and finally, it passes through the HEPA filter. It is a less expensive option, but that also means it covers less room. It can filter air 4 times in an hour in a space up to 194 feet.
Its size, child lock, and nightlight option make it an ideal choice for kids’ rooms. Simply press the nightlight button to make it visible in a dark room. It features three fan speeds through touch buttons. The air purifier is also claimed to be relatively quiet, though as per dB, at 50, it is rated higher than most on this list. It is also very compact at only 12.8 inches tall and 7.87 inches in diameter.
Each of the filters has 2100 hours estimated use time, and the unit features a reset filter indicator that notifies you when it needs replacement. The combination of all the filter levels allows it to remove the most common allergens such as mold, dust, pollen, smoke odors, cooking odors, pet allergens and odors, and more.
- Very inexpensive unit giving you good value.
- Has child lock and nightlight feature making it suitable for kids’ rooms.
- The unit gets louder over time.
- The lights on top of the air purifier cannot be turned off.
7. Germ Guardian Air Purifier
This 4-in-1 unit is compact, practical, and offers a lot of features. It is claimed to capture up to 99.97% of allergens and dust via the HEPA filter, as well as kill germs and airborne mold. The pre-filter and charcoal filter helps capture the larger particles and reduces odors. The True HEPA filter purifies the air of dust mites, pet dander, and pollen. While the UV-C Light kills viruses and germs.
The unit is claimed to be very quiet and features a programmable timer for nighttime use. The filters can easily be cleaned and must be replaced every 6 to 8 months. The Germ Guardian Air Purifier has also earned the Energy Star by meeting their strict energy-efficient guidelines.
The company offers excellent customer service and backs its product by a 5-year limited warranty and support. Unfortunately, their claims of it being very quiet aren’t as expected. The lights also cannot be turned off, making it challenging to sleep if you are sensitive to light.
- Ozone free unit is suitable for children and individuals suffering from asthma.
- The unit is Energy Star certified.
- It comes with a 5-year limited warranty and customer support.
- The product is most effective only when in the middle of the room.
- It has bright lights the shine on top of the unit and light up the ceiling.
8. Honeywell Air Purifier
This large room unit can filter the air in rooms up to 310 square feet. It features a True HEPA filter that captures even the smallest particles and cleans up to 99.97% of them. The Honeywell is very easy to set up and use, featuring simple controls for the timer. It can clean the air in a standard room up to 5 times in an hour, making it one of the fastest on our list.
As with all the other filters on our list, this one not only cleans the air of particles but odors as well. The air purifier draws in air at all times, pulling in the more substantial particles first through the carbon pre-filter that also reduces odors. This filter must be replaced every 3 months for the best results. The air then flows through the HEPA filter that captures the smallest particles. The clean air then flows out through the unit.
Although there is no dB level listed for the unit, we can say that the first two fan speeds are relatively quiet, and then it gradually gets louder as you increase speed. It is also designed very well to take up less space as the intake is in the front, and then air is released out the top, so it can be placed right up against the wall.
- The unit has a unique design allowing you to place it up against the wall.
- The Honeywell comes with a 5-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- It is designed for larger rooms up to 310 square feet.
- There is a plastic smell when the unit is turned on.
- The top and front lids seem flimsy and don’t properly close.
- The touch-sensitive buttons don’t seem to work correctly.
9. Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator
This unit produces more than 6,000 mg of ozone and features a massive fan that sterilizes a more significant area. It is low maintenance with no filters to clean and replace. It is also designed to be small, portable, and inconspicuous. The unit is designed to eliminate any type of odor, including smoke, smoke damage, water damage, cleaning and paint fumes, pet odors, and more.
The design is eco-friendly and cost-effective. It uses less energy to clean more square footage. Designed to be durable, it is made featuring industrial-grade aluminum alloy casing and zero filters for replacement. It also has ceramic ozone plates for added durability and strength for purification, without the need to re-treat the area. The unit also features a timer so you can set how long you want the purifier to work.
The fan of the unit is 40% larger to allow the distribution of the ozone more evenly, while the stainless steel filter is washable and doesn’t need replacement. The timer on the unit can be set up to 180 minutes and has a HOLD feature. It is important to note that this and all other ozone generators are designed to work when the area is unoccupied.
- New durable design with a 40% larger fan.
- It covers 4,000 square of space, but initial air quality may affect this.
- The cells of the discharge plate deteriorate very quickly.
- The unit requires more time to clean odor than other products on the market.
10. Alen BreathSmart Air Purifier
This is a considerably larger unit at 26.75 inches high, 17.75 inches wide, and 10 inches deep. However, it is designed for larger rooms. The circulation of the air purifier allows it to clean up to 1,100 square feet of air every 30 minutes, making it the most powerful unit in our list.
The unit features Laser Smart Sensor that detects any airborne particles and impurities down to 0.3 microns and notifies you via the Air Quality Indicator Light. It also adjusts the fan speed accordingly to ensure perfect air quality at all times.
The WhisperMax technology ensures the unit is quiet while working even at Turbo speed. Noise levels are 41.5 dB at 1st Speed, 44 dB at 2nd Speed, 50dB at 3rd Speed, and 56 dB at the 5th and 6th speed. It features 14 versatile panels that allow you to fit it to your home design without sticking out like a sore thumb.
The ionizer of the unit is ozone free but instead produces negative ions to force particles to clump together so the HEPA filter can easily pick them up. The best feature of the unit is that it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Lifetime warranty and customer support back this product.
- The unit is designed for large rooms up to 1,100 square feet
- The real-time sensor notifies you of air quality and adjusts fan settings automatically.
- The unit may disrupt your sleep if placed in the bedroom due to noise.
- Disappointing that a unit at that price didn’t come with a remote.
How do Air Purifiers Attack Mold?
When mold builds up in the home, it releases spores into the air. They then float around and eventually reach our lungs. Air purifiers function by pulling air in and passing it through one or several filters and then releasing the clean air back into the living space. It doesn’t get simpler than that. Then you get into the variety of filters, and things get slightly more complicated.
The reason it is crucial to either have a HEPA filter, or any other type of filter that can filter particles smaller than 0.3 microbes is that mold spores are 1-30 microbes. This means you must have a fine enough filter if you want to catch them.
Of course, an air purifier isn’t enough if you have a mold problem in your home. One of the most effective ways to find out if you have issues with mold is to get a home air quality test kit. It will give you an idea of what type of air purifier is necessary and what other steps you need to take to protect your family.
Another feature you should look for if you are trying to attack mold in your home is a carbon filter. Surely you are aware of the damp and musty smell that mold emits. What the carbon filter does is neutralizes odors from it, along with pets, smoke, and other household smells, especially those coming from the kitchen.
If you experience several different air pollution issues or are interested in better climate control in your home, be sure to check out the other reviews and guides that we at HomeClimate have compiled.
Features of Air Purifiers Necessary to Tackle Mold
Some features are absolutely necessary if you want to get the best results, while other features may be a great addition, but are not essential.
Efficiency of the Filter:
The quality of the filter is the most crucial feature you need to look for. You must get an air purifier that has at least two stages of filtration, but three is much better. A model that works with a HEPA filter alongside an activated carbon filter is the top choice. This combination not only ensures the spores are eliminated but their smell as well.
Choose an air purifier that has more than a one-speed setting. This will give you more control based on the current air quality in the living space. Higher speeds are ideal for cold months that are damp when mold is more prone to accumulate. Lower settings are suitable in the summer or when it’s warm because you can ventilate your home by opening windows, so mold growth is reduced. There are even air purifiers that feature smart sensors that allow them to adjust the speed of the fan according to the current air quality in your home.
Each air purifier has a specific size room that it can properly circulate air in. The smaller air purifiers can circulate air in a small 100 square foot room, while the bigger ones can handle 1,000 square feet or more. Make sure the one you purchase is suitable for the room size you will be using it in and not right on the higher end.
True HEPA Filter:
As mentioned above, the filter is the most critical feature of the unit. Although there are HEPA-style or grade filters, your best bet is with a True HEPA filter. The True HEPA filter benefits simply make it better than any other option out there, so if your budget allows it, invest in it. If your budget does not allow for a True HEPA, the alternatives are better than no HEPA at all.
Automatic Mode Option:
This is a fantastic feature that we highly recommend you look for. It means the air purifier has a sensor that gives you a live reading of the air quality. If the air quality is low, the fan speed is adjusted automatically to remedy that. This saves you time on guesswork and manually adjusting the fan speed yourself.
Consider Noise and Light Pollution:
With the topic in mind, pollution is the ideal word here. Many people are sensitive to the noise that most air purifiers make. Different units have different noise levels. Also, most purifiers have a lot of lights, and some are rather bright. If you are sensitive to either, make sure you research these points on each product you are considering so you don’t get disappointed.
Who Needs an Air Purifier?
Although having an air purifier is always beneficial, there are some situations where we believe it is absolutely necessary. Here are several reasons why you might need an air purifier in your home.
· You have problems with mold and mildew in your home.
As mentioned before, the right air purifier will help eliminate airborne mold in the home. However, you must also take measures to reduce the source, or the problem will continue to grow.
· There is a smoker in the household.
To eliminate cigarette smoke fumes and smell, an air purifier with an activated charcoal filter will be necessary. Change the way your home smells and prevent second-hand smoke.
· Someone in the household suffers from asthma, allergies, or other respiratory problems.
One of the most common reasons people purchase an air purifier is because it was recommended they invest in one due to someone in the family having respiratory problems. Whether it’s allergies, asthma, or another issue, the right air purifier can considerably improve their everyday life.
· You have one or more pets.
Not only do pets shed a lot of furs, but they are also an allergen, can bring in allergens, and regardless of how much you wash them, they get stinky. An air purifier that also has an activated carbon filter and pre-filter will take care of the problem with the smell, dander, and even the fur floating in the air. While a HEPA filter will take care of the smaller particles such as dander and pollen.
You may also want to consider reading our reviews on the top air purifiers for pet owners to get more details on how to handle air pollution and odor from pets.
· You live in an apartment, and neighbors’ odors are seeping into your living space.
If you live in an apartment, there is no need to even go into further detail. Cigarette smoke from the neighbor in the window upstairs, the spicy food the neighbor downstairs is cooking, the 3 dogs that stink up the entire floor. It all comes into your apartment.
· If there is a lot of greenery around your home, you are probably dealing with pollen being brought in.
Keeping your windows closed in the Spring to keep pollen out simply doesn’t cut it. Anytime anyone goes outside, they bring pollen into your home, especially if you have pets. If you are suffering from seasonal allergies, an air purifier may be the solution.
· Your home has a wood stove or fireplace.
There is nothing more beautiful than that cozy fire in the fireplace, and nothing worse than the smoke that fills the home. Even the highest quality fireplaces cause at least minimal air pollution that could irritate the eyes, throat, and respiratory system.
· You enjoy cooking, but not the odors that are left behind.
Who doesn’t love home-cooked food, right? Unfortunately, there is also an unwanted smell that sticks to clothes, furniture, and carpets if left unattended. By turning on an air purifier with a carbon filter, you can completely eliminate this problem.
· You work with crafts materials that emit toxic fumes.
This may seem innocent enough, but most of the glues, paints, mineral spirits and enamels can be very toxic. If you are regularly working with such products, prevent the buildup of toxic chemicals in your body but firing up an air purifier nearby.
· You cannot keep up with the dust issue in your home.
Unfortunately, sometimes, your home is located in an area prone to dust. Whether it’s near a busy street, a construction site, or none of the above, some locations just ha. Another reason is regularly keeping the windows open and pets. As air purifiers pick up even the smallest particles, you can save time on dusting.
· When your new apartment/house smell isn’t as lovely as a new car smell.
There is a very distinct smell in new construction. Yes, it’s clean and brand new, but with all the chemicals used to complete it, such as paint, varnish, glue, carpeting, and more, the fumes can be dangerous. The toxins from the fumes will disappear over time, by why suffer until then?
· If renovations in your home are destroying your air quality.
From dust to fumes, renovations can be a dirty business. Keep an air purifier running to keep the air as clean as possible.
· Your home is in a fire risk zone.
If you live in a fire risk zone, then you know about the health problems it causes to anyone breathing in the smoke. Even if the fire isn’t affecting your immediate area, clouds of smoke get blown about miles away and get into homes. A HEPA filter will do the trick in maintaining a safe breathing environment.
Maintenance of Air Purifiers to Keep Mold at Bay
If you want your air purifier working at its best to eliminate mold spores in the air, you need to maintain it regularly. Not only will it improve performance, but it will enhance the life of the unit and filters as well. There are many advantages of timely air purifier maintenance, and the first most important is the proper function. The filter requires special attention and knowing how to clean your HEPA filter beforehand is essential. But there are a few more maintenance tips to consider.
Follow these cleaning tips:
- Never open or move the unit without unplugging it.
- Pay close attention to the pre-filter as it will require more regular maintenance. Due to the larger particles that it catches, it gets clogged faster. This is especially the case if you have pets. Some filters can be washed, and others vacuumed several times before requiring replacement. If the unit starts to emit a strange smell, then consider replacing the pre-filter.
- If your particular filter is washable, never replace it back on the unit before it has thoroughly dried.
- If your unit has a HEPA filter, make sure you clean it every few months or more often, depending on the number of pollutants you have in your living area. They need to be replaced every 6 to 8 months. The filter comes with cleaning instructions.
- Never wash your HEPA or any other permanent filter as this could damage it.
- The air filters are delicate, so scratching or scrubbing it could damage it.
You will also find more in-depth information on the maintenance of the particular air purifier you have purchased in the manual from the manufacturer that comes with it.
Best Air Purifiers for Mold Comparison Chart
|Guardian Technologies Air Purifier||$$||9 x 5.5 x 21.5″||7 pounds||167 sq. feet||99.97% of allergens and dust|
|Pure Enrichment PureZone Air Purifier||$||10.8 x 7 x 12.5″||6 pounds||200 sq. feet||99.97% of airborne particles|
|LEVOIT Air Purifier||$$$||26.5 x 15.5 x 15.1″||20.4 pounds||538 ft²||99. 97% of airborne particles
|AeraMax 300 Air Purifier||$$$||8.1 x 16 x 25.1″||12.5 pounds||300 to 600 sq ft||99.97% of airborne particles|
|Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier||$$||8 x 8 x 16.7″||3.35 pounds||161 sq. ft||99% of common airborne|
|hOmeLabs Air Purifier||$$||7.9 x 7.9 x 12.8″||6.85 pounds||up to 194 ft²||99.97% of Microscopic Particles|
|Germ Guardian Air Purifier||$$$||9.1 x 6.7 x 27.6″||11 pounds||167 sq. ft.||up to 99.97% of airborne particles|
|Honeywell Air Purifier||$$$||19.4 x 11.5 x 20.3″||17.5 pounds||310 sq. ft.||99.97% of airborne particles|
|Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator||$$||6.8 x 8 x 5.8″||5 pounds||4,000 sq ft||Eliminate any type of odor|
|Alen BreathSmart Air Purifier||$$$$$||10 x 17.8 x 26.8″||21 pounds||1100 sq ft||Airborne particles down to 0.3 microns|
It’s bad enough that the air we breathe outside is laden with allergens and pollution. You shouldn’t have to live in discomfort from the air you breathe at home as well. By purchasing the best air purifier for mold to fit your home and needs, you will breathe easier that you are protecting yourself and your loved ones.
Our air purifiers for mold reviews don’t only focus on the metrics of the units, but we also give you functional feedback. The best way to choose a product is to listen to what others that have it have to say. We’ve done the legwork for you, now it’s time for you to select the air purifier that fits your budget, needs, and space.
We look forward to your feedback! Do you have an air purifier? Share your experience in the comments below and help others make wiser decisions in their purchases.
Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!